Tuesday 5 July 2011

Fill em up dot com

Annifrangipani writes

"On Saturday we decided to drive to Nottingham, to celebrate my friend Julia's 30th birthday. So, a long car journey. It was her birthday on Sunday, which is the same as my partner's, so I thought it would be nice if we got a hotel room and then hung out in Notts on Sunday.

My week had been really horrible, so, when I booked on Wednesday via laterooms, I booked the Hilton. Pricey yes, but you get what you pay for, don't you?

No, you don't ...

Here's the email I wrote in complaint:

I made this booking at the Hilton Nottingham on 29th June for the Saturday night of 2nd July for two adults in a double room. On arrival to the hotel we checked and went to our room. It had only a single bed in it. We returned to the reception and they said we had been booked into a "three quarter room" and they would reduce the rate we had paid. I was perplexed as the bed appeared to be too small for two adults but the receptionist seemed convinced it was acceptable to expect us to share this room. We returned to the room and realised that this was not a three quarters bed, but a standard single and there was no way that a) we would be able to share it and b) why would we pay to share a bed less than half the size of our bed at home? Again, we went to reception and were informed that there were no other rooms for us and there was nothing they could do. It had been a long day, we were hot and tired and decided it would be simpler to just return home, rather than continue trying to find a room that was suitable. I did get my money back but obviously, we are very disappointed that we had to return home. People coming from greater distances would not be in this position and I don't see why we should have paid for an unsuitable room. Is this standard practice for the Hilton change? I am shocked that such a prestigious hotel chain have this policy and recommend you only sell rooms that can accommodate the number of people booked into it properly.

And here's the reply:

Thank you for contacting Guest Assistance in regards to your stay at Hilton Nottingham. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced while at that property. I have forwarded your comments directly over to the hotel. It is Hilton’s policy to allow our hotels the opportunity to get involved to resolve any problems. Please allow 72 business hours for these matters to be addressed. "

My comment:

When people book through laterooms dot com, they're expecting what they buy to be what is advertised.  It's unacceptable to treat the people who use last minute websites to get treats that they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford as if they were lesser citizens.  Remember - these are often people on their way up.

1 comment:

  1. We had a similar experience with the Hilton in Bradford; We got a 3/4 bed when we'd paid for a double room. OUr experience then differed from yours as they couldn't have cared less when we complained. Never staying in a Hilton in the UK again!

    ReplyDelete